Friday, November 11, 2011

My village

Some pictures from my village. I've been hesitant to wander around with my camera because, well, I hate looking like the white tourist. I should get over it, I know, especially as it has been 7 months - I'll try to take and post more soon.

For now:




The yard of Phindile, the OVC supervisor at the org. Those are mealie (corn) stalks in the background. Most yards have a good plot of them.


A yard and street on the eastern side of the village.


Aubrey, the matric (grade 12) student who lives in the room next to me.




On our way to the dam.


Ramotshinyadi dam - about 2km from my house. People come here to fetch water, do laundry, fish for catfish (I'm pricing poles today), and swim. Even though there is a large and scary looking crocodile who lives here. I stumbled across him while walking around the far side of the water. Huge. Don't worry, though, according to my co-worker, "he is a very dumb crocodile." Safety first.


I am indeed wearing a T-rex shirt. People have very genuinely asked me if we have them in the U.S. If only, I tell them, if only.


The path back to my house.

1 comment:

  1. "Television man is crazy, saying we're juvenile delinquent wrecks. Oh man I need TV when I got T-Rex." (flashback to a song from the 70s, triggered by your t-shirt).

    Not sure that I see the correlation between the intelligence (or lack of intelligence) of a crocodile and the degree of danger he poses. Dumb or not, be careful around him!

    I recently read an ethnographic study in which the villagers shut out the researcher every time he brought out his camera. Can't remember exactly why, but I trust you won't suffer the same fate. It is nice to see pictures from your village and of your house mate.

    ReplyDelete